How much does it cost to file Bankruptcy in Michigan?
My office takes great pride in offering quality Consumer Bankruptcy services in Metro Detroit while charging very reasonable attorney fees. The following reflects the fees I charge for the most of my typical bankruptcy cases. Every case is unique and some cases involve substantial attorney time or particular expertise.
The fees and costs below apply to most Individual or Joint (husband & wife) cases.
If you are faced with overwhelming debt, doing nothing and simply letting the creditors rack up interest charges and additional collection fees will cost you much more in the run than simply hiring an attorney who can help you manage your debt. Compared to other options like trying to work out monthly payment options or letting your creditors line up to garnish your wages, it is actually very inexpensive to hire my office to help you obtain a Federal Court order that “discharges” or wipes out the debt that you cannot afford to pay. I am a board certified specialist in consumer bankruptcy filings in Michigan and have filed over 14,000 cases in the metro Detroit area.
I want to help you get a fresh financial start and be debt free.
I have personally handled just about every type of consumer bankruptcy matter and have the experience to represent you in the Detroit bankruptcy court. I work with my clients and will set up a payment plan that you can afford. I will file a motion asking the bankruptcy judge to allow you to pay the filing fee after the case is filed if needed.
To file a bankruptcy case in Michigan, there are basically three costs:
1. The United States Bankruptcy Court charges a filing fee which is $335 for a Chapter 7 and $310 for a Chapter 13 bankruptcy.
2. Pre-bankruptcy counseling certificates (can be done online or on the phone in my office) needed before filing and a pre-discharge educational certificate (again can be done online or on the phone) which must be completed before your Bankruptcy Judge can grant you a Discharge of your debt. Both of these requirements can be completed in my office and typically cost $50 to $60 for both.
3. Legal fees to your bankruptcy lawyer. For most of my cases, I charge flat fees that cover all work needed to handle your case from start to finish. Some cases are more complicated than others, and you will be quoted an exact cost at your initial consultation. So that I can better determine the fee for your particular case, please complete my bankruptcy starter packet and bring this to your free consultation. For most cases, my fees are in the range of:
- $495 to $795 attorney fee for a typical Chapter 7. Additional fees may apply for cases involving creditor actions such as garnishments, car seizure, lots of recent credit usage, potential fraud issues, valuable assets that need protection other reasons.
- $3000 flat attorney fee for most Chapter 13 reorganization bankruptcy cases. I generally require ZERO down before filing a Chapter 13 if you are employed.
Most of my clients can easily afford to pay their own bankruptcy filing fees in affordable monthly installments. I generally let my clients take up to one year to pay the fees. I am happy to work with you to set up payments that you can easily afford so you can truly get the fresh financial start that a bankruptcy discharge can give you.
Michigan Bankruptcy Attorney Walter Metzen can help you get that Fresh Financial Start you need!
As Board Certified Detroit Michigan Bankruptcy Attorney. I have personally represented over 14,000 Michigan residents file bankruptcy in the Detroit Bankruptcy Court. My office handles only consumer bankruptcy cases, and when you come to your first consultation, you will not meet with a legal assistant but an experienced attorney. I provied free consultations and will provided you with all available options. I specialize in both Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 bankruptcy cases in Michigan.